Eric and Jon (SSMP) talk about Fallout and Fallout 4 as mandated by the Internet. They also discuss Final Fantasy VI and the evolution of RPGs that try to show you everything instead of letting you discover and use your imagination.
All that, plus the futuristic merits of Missy Elliott’s sublime new music video on the latest episode of the WhaleCast.
Download: The WhaleCast Episode 36 (54:07)
Subscribe on iTunes: The WhaleCast
- 0:00 – Intro – “The Longest Time” by Billy Joel
- :40 – Missy Elliott’s Where They From
- 2:55 – Eric gets a Super Nintendo
- 4:20 – Final Fantasy VI and comedy in JRPGs
- 11:45 – Wordplay, Sam Barlow, and games show too much
- 20:14 – Jon falls in love with Fallout 4
- 34:30 – Eric is ambivalent about Fallout 1
- 37:20 – Character growth, story, and gameplay flavor in RPGs
- 45:00 – In praise of less cluttered inventory systems
- 4:20 – How do people find meaning in video games?
- 53:34 – Outro – “Pressure” by Billy Joel