Eric and Jon (SSMP) talk about Peter Molyneux, LongStory, and Telltale’s Game of Thrones before revisiting last week’s discussion about Transistor. Jon also raves about Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy while Eric and Jon both ponder the importance of media accessibility and cultural literacy in gaming.
The Peter Molyneux mentioned in the first segment is over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
Eric’s take on the whole situation is over here.
Download: The WhaleCast Episode 8 (57:49)
Subscribe on iTunes: The WhaleCast
- 0:00 – Intro – “No Surrender” by Bruce Springsteen
- :35 – Peter Molyneux’s Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview
- 5:35 – Kickstarter, Patreon, and Indiegogo
- 11:20 – LongStory
- 17:20 – Telltale’s Game of Thrones
- 22:35 – Transistor
- 25:15 – Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and challenging media
- 33:50 – Who is a game for? Accessibility, cultural literacy, and audience expectations
- 43:15 – Games as cultural work vs. games as consumer product
- 57:10 – Outro – “Jungleland” by Bruce Springsteen