Springfield Googolplex – The movie podcast for Simpsons fans.
This week, Nate shares one of his favorite childhood films with Adam, The Karate Kid (1984). Immortalized by The Simpsons in “Dead Putting Society” (S2E6), this VHS classic brings together a potent mix of eighties style, karate action, and touching drama. You’re the best!
Listen: [powerpress]https://static1.squarespace.com/static/62d0ac2013efb05ee9dffd8f/t/633b38370af35f68076b8898/1664825492438/SG102_KarateKid.mp3/original/SG102_KarateKid.mp3[/powerpress] Download
Also in this episode:
- A deep dive into Simpsons episode “Dead Putting Society,” our first beat-by-beat movie parody
- The unsung filmography of John G. Avildsen, a master of naturalism, underdog stories, and the training montage
- An honest, unglamorous portrait of Los Angeles on film
- Adam and Nate test out a different format for the show (let us know what you think!)
- Plus more bonus material at SpringfieldGoogolplex.org.
Next week, Nate and Adam revisit a movie they’ve both only seen once a long time ago, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964).