This week is Emerald City Comic Con (ECCC). Running Thursday, March 14 to Sunday, March 17 in Seattle, Washington, it’s the largest comic and pop culture show in the Pacific Northwest. It’s the first major convention of the year and will likely surpass six-digit attendance numbers this year. Washington also happens to be the home of Funko.
Unsurprisingly, the Funko marketing crew is psyched to promote the brand locally. In addition to the now traditional live-recording of the Funko Funkast podcast at the con, they’re using the home advantage to host a kickoff party at the Funko headquarters in Everett, WA on the Wednesday before the con begins. Both events promise fun opportunities to interact with the Funko team, who are essentially the face of the company alongside CEO Brian Mariotti, as well as awesome prizes. The company’s motto states, “Come for the toys, stay for the people,” so what are this year’s exclusive ECCC collectibles?
- The animated Lion King Pop! collection wouldn’t be complete without the villainous pack of hyenas, Shenzi, Banzai and Ed.
- Funko heard its fans and recently released Office Space Pop!s, capturing one of the film’s most iconic scenes in a two-pack of Michael Bolton, Samir and a fax machine that had it coming.
- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World fans are treated to a new Ramona Flowers Pop! sculpt with her trusty mallet.
- Rick and Morty’s Pickle Rick episode has inspired a number of Funko figures, but they’ve finally expanded the line to include his brief accomplice, Jaguar.
- Ad Icons have been a huge hit for the company, so they created a Pillsbury Doughboy Pop! with a shamrock cookie for the green-themed con.
- Also in line with the theme, a Harry Potter Quidditch World Cup 3-pack featuring Fred, George and Ginny is being released.
- Wishes are granted with the 6” Porunga dragon from Dragon Ball Z.
- A classic Thor is being added to the Marvel line and a very sexy Black Canary joins the DC Pop! Heroes line.
- A new, more detailed Arya Stark from Game of Thrones will please fans awaiting the final season.
- Freddy Funko himself sports some hip waders while presenting his big catch to fans.
Over the course of three days, Funko announced more than 30 items that would be available at ECCC. But for everyone unable to attend the con or win the lottery to access the booth, Funko also identified which collectibles will be shared with stores and which will only be available at the convention upfront for the first time. Now, collectors can start planning their strategies early without relying on leaks. As usual, partner retailers include the Amazon, Barnes & Noble, BoxLunch, Entertainment Earth, Funko Shop, FYE, Hot Topic, Gamestop/EB Games, Target, Walgreens and Walmart.
Planning to add any of these to your shelf?